Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 15 of 23

Thread: Anonymous hacks into Sony's website

You've Earned a Custom Title!
    Battle Record
    2-13

Anonymous hacks into Sony's website

http://www.hindustantimes.com/techno...e1-792651.aspx

Anonymous hackers have again targeted Sony over its support of the contentious SOPA (Stop Online Piracy) bill, and have compromised both the Sony Pictures website, its database and the company's Facebook page. Softpedia reports that to prove the "hit", they posted a number of videos
    related stories

Kazuo Hirai to be named Sony's president

showing them updating the Facebook page and the Sony Pictures Mobile dashboard, which was later removed.

It's interesting to note that one of the hackers who allegedly participated in the attack had his own Twitter account hijacked by a hacker. "I don't know why the hacker hacked me. I think he did it for the lulz," commented the Sony hacker.

sonyHe also said that he was able to hack Sony because the administration panel for the site was not encrypted, and the servers were vulnerable.

In the meantime, Anonymous Belgium has hit the website of giant steel producing company Arcelor-Mittal, ostensibly because the company promised a few years ago that one of its factories in Belgium will not be closed and its workers let go, and then reneging on that promise.

If their claims are to be believed, the hack was executed by exploiting a number of XSS and SQL injection vulnerabilities. Among the information infiltrated from the site's database and made public are login credentials for its users.

Battle Record
    14-12

Re: Anonymous hacks into Sony's website

What?

I thought they removed Sony from their blacklist because they stopped caring about the Sopa bill.
    Take a Look at my Life

Battle Record
    2-13

Quote Originally Posted by Bos View Post
    What?

I thought they removed Sony from their blacklist because they stopped caring about the Sopa bill.
    sony's music is still on the list I think... and they still support it...

Battle Record
    2-13

here's another article..

http://mashable.com/2011/06/02/sony-pictures-hacked/

Sony is not having a good year. As the company scrambles to get the PlayStation Network and Qriocity music service back online, it’s suffering from yet another security breach. This time it’s a hacker attack on various websites associated with Sony Pictures.

A team of individuals going by the name LulzSec, who recently managed to deface PBS.org’s homepage, announced that they have broken into SonyPictures.com and compromised more than 1 million user accounts. An additional 75,000 music codes and 3.5 million coupons were also uncovered.

The attack, part of a campaign known as Sownage, was announced on Twitter and on the LulzSec website. LulzSec said that it didn’t have enough resources to copy all the data that it was able to access. But the group did manage to grab a collection of databases that contain thousands of usernames.

The accounts, presumably associated with any sort of registered activity on SonyPictures.com (or its subsidiaries or partners), contain information like passwords, email addresses, dates of birth and other Sony opt-in data. This certainly isn’t as dangerous as the information that was exposed during the PSN hack, but it could still be used to gather access to more important accounts elsewhere.

The scariest part of this attack isn’t what was taken, but how easy it was for the LulzSec members to take it. According to the groups own press release, access to the main Sony Pictures website was gained using a very basic tactic called a SQL injection. We haven’t had a chance to examine the released files to see what this injection was, but it’s likely that an out-of-date software stack and relatively unprotected web server made passing the injection trivial.

LulzSec says that all of the information it took was unencrypted. “Sony stored over 1,000,000 passwords of its customers in plaintext,” says the hackers’ press release, “which means it’s just a matter of taking it. ”

Seeing as this is the second security breach of a major Sony-branded website in just outside of a week, we have to ask: Is anyone at Sony employed to handle web security?

Sure, managing a large number of brands and properties that are often connected in name only has to be a challenge, not to mention the logistical and administrative challenges of managing websites that can store millions of user profiles. Still, that doesn’t make up for what by all appearances is an abysmal security record.

LulzSec has been on a tear, infiltrating the websites and databases for the UK television program, The X Factor, parts of Fox.com, Sonymusic.co.jp and many parts of PBS.org in the past three weeks alone.

The attacks, while often juvenile in nature and execution (the Lulzsecurity.com website plays the theme from The Love Boat), underscore just how important it is for brands to keep their web servers updated, hardened and monitored. In the age of simple publishing tools like WordPress, it’s easy for managers to underestimate the importance of having someone on contract or on staff to keep data encrypted and protected. We can only hope the most recent cyber attacks convince executives to think seriously about investing in online security.

i thought lulzsec and anon were different?

Battle Record
    14-12

Sony hasn't learned shit from the previous attacks..

Stop fucking supporting the Sopa bill...I mean, do they get in trouble if they dont?

I'd do everything Anonymous askes me to do. They lost millionns durring the time they were hacked. Not to mention the loss of a lot of users
    Take a Look at my Life

^^ it's current losses outweigh future gains from SOPA

Battle Record
    14-12

^The only going to lose money because of SOPA...

But yea...as shown in the past.. Sony is greedy and naive
    Take a Look at my Life

They'll have the U.S. gov. backing them. They don't give a shit.

¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

LulzSec - AntiSec ... Yep.

sonned. lmao

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 50 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Battle Record
    12-8

Lmao @ "I don't know why the hacker hacked me. I think he did it for the lulz."

Battle Record
    0-2

motherfucker....

im all for the cause these doods back...

but im about to leave my house in about 15 minutes to go pick up a ps3...and if i fucking come home, and start playing call of duty, then wake up tommorrow and go to play it again and not be able to for the next 3 fucking months, im gonna wig the fuck out, and find a nerdy ass little fucking hacker that has nothing to do with what happend and beat the fucking shit out of him....

and then im gonna taker a trip to the zoo, and sucker punch a fucking girafee....I WILL SUCKER FUCKING OUNCH A GOD DAMN GIRAFFE MOTHERCKUFER!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 50 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Doe Flip Like Tae-Kwon Menace II Society's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AlphaMetric View Post
    here's another article..

http://mashable.com/2011/06/02/sony-pictures-hacked/

Sony is not having a good year. As the company scrambles to get the PlayStation Network and Qriocity music service back online, it’s suffering from yet another security breach. This time it’s a hacker attack on various websites associated with Sony Pictures.

A team of individuals going by the name LulzSec, who recently managed to deface PBS.org’s homepage, announced that they have broken into SonyPictures.com and compromised more than 1 million user accounts. An additional 75,000 music codes and 3.5 million coupons were also uncovered.

The attack, part of a campaign known as Sownage, was announced on Twitter and on the LulzSec website. LulzSec said that it didn’t have enough resources to copy all the data that it was able to access. But the group did manage to grab a collection of databases that contain thousands of usernames.

The accounts, presumably associated with any sort of registered activity on SonyPictures.com (or its subsidiaries or partners), contain information like passwords, email addresses, dates of birth and other Sony opt-in data. This certainly isn’t as dangerous as the information that was exposed during the PSN hack, but it could still be used to gather access to more important accounts elsewhere.

The scariest part of this attack isn’t what was taken, but how easy it was for the LulzSec members to take it. According to the groups own press release, access to the main Sony Pictures website was gained using a very basic tactic called a SQL injection. We haven’t had a chance to examine the released files to see what this injection was, but it’s likely that an out-of-date software stack and relatively unprotected web server made passing the injection trivial.

LulzSec says that all of the information it took was unencrypted. “Sony stored over 1,000,000 passwords of its customers in plaintext,” says the hackers’ press release, “which means it’s just a matter of taking it. ”

Seeing as this is the second security breach of a major Sony-branded website in just outside of a week, we have to ask: Is anyone at Sony employed to handle web security?

Sure, managing a large number of brands and properties that are often connected in name only has to be a challenge, not to mention the logistical and administrative challenges of managing websites that can store millions of user profiles. Still, that doesn’t make up for what by all appearances is an abysmal security record.

LulzSec has been on a tear, infiltrating the websites and databases for the UK television program, The X Factor, parts of Fox.com, Sonymusic.co.jp and many parts of PBS.org in the past three weeks alone.

The attacks, while often juvenile in nature and execution (the Lulzsecurity.com website plays the theme from The Love Boat), underscore just how important it is for brands to keep their web servers updated, hardened and monitored. In the age of simple publishing tools like WordPress, it’s easy for managers to underestimate the importance of having someone on contract or on staff to keep data encrypted and protected. We can only hope the most recent cyber attacks convince executives to think seriously about investing in online security.
    That article is from last year..

[YouTube]VTfrbU74TdE[/YouTube]

Battle Record
    12-8

Lol @ TJayMac being a year late.

SHOW OF HANDS.. who's surprised?

Battle Record
    0-2

*raises hand*

*to grab a can of spaghettios off a shelf*